Special Release - POPCEN - Villaba

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 51

Release Date: 

Friday, June 23, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF VILLABA

 

Total population of Villaba as of 2015 is 41,891

The municipality of Villaba has a total population of 41,891 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,072 persons as compared to 38,819 total count in 2010 and higher by 5,849 persons from its total count of 36,042 in 2000. It ranked 16th among the 42 cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 2.4 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City).  It grew at the rate of 1.46 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.72 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.74 percent.

The household population of Villaba totaled to 41,882 persons in 2015, which is 8.0 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 38,779 persons.  Majority or 99.98 percent of the total population of Villaba in 2015 are household population.  The remaining 0.02 percent or 9 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters. 

The number of households in 2015 reached 10,521 higher by 1,323 households from 9,198 in 2010.  The average household size in Villaba slightly declined from 4.2 in 2010 to 4.0 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Villaba was 150.31 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.  The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 279 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 240 and 258 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 35 barangays of Villaba, Cagnocot registered the biggest population with 3,109 persons in 2015 or 7.4 percent of the municipality’s total population.  The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Tagbubunga (2,635), Hinabuyan (2,606), Suba (2,349), Cabunga-an (2,324), Abijao (1,755), Fatima (Pob.) (1,575), Silad (1,562), Tabunok (1,549) and Hibulangan (1,497).

Meanwhile, Barangay San Vicente recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 338 persons which accounted 0.8 percent of the total population of Villaba.  The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Bangcal (346), San Francisco (368), Camporog (464), Jalas (483), Bugabuga (502), Catagbacan (538), Iligay (564), Capinyahan (667) and Canquiason (671).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Villaba in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Sambulawan (6.44 percent) Payao (5.21 percent) and Fatima (Pob.) (4.51 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Canquiason, Sulpa, Tabunok, Cabunga-an, Silad, Hibulangan and San Vicente with PGRs ranging from 2.49 percent to 4.37 percent. Six barangays recorded negative PGR which include Capinyahan (-0.06 percent), Hinabuyan (-0.07 percent), Balite (-0.45 percent), Poblacion Sur (-1.64 percent), Jalas (-2.81 percent) and San Francisco (4.66 percent). This means that their population declined in 2015.

 

Attachments: