Special Release - POPCEN - Tanauan

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 34

Release Date: 

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF TANAUAN

 

Total population of Tanauan as of 2015 is 55,021

The municipality of Tanauan has a total population of 55,021 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 4,902 persons as compared to 50,119 total count in 2010 and higher by 9,965 persons from its total count of 45,056 in 2000. It ranked 9th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.2 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.79 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.72 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.07 percent.

The household population of Tanauan totaled to 54,953 persons in 2015, which is 9.8 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 50,052 persons. Majority or 99.9 percent of the total population in Tanauan in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.1 percent or 68 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters. The number of households in 2015 reached 13,518, higher by 2,539 households from 10,979 in 2010. The average household size in Tanauan declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.1 in 2015. This municipality posted the 6th highest number of households in Leyte in 2015. The estimated total land area of Tanauan was 78.41 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 702 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 575 and 639 persons per square kilometer, respectively. Tanauan recorded as the fourth most densely populated municipality in Leyte since 2000.

Of the 54 barangays of Tanauan, Barangay San Roque (Pob.) registered the biggest population with 5,032 persons in 2015 or 9.1 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top ten (10) barangays in terms of population were Canramos (Pob.) (3,634.), Santo Niño Pob. (Haclagan) (3,549), Cabuynan (3,400), Bislig (3,217), Pago (1,733.), San Miguel (Pob.) (1,442), Licod (Pob.) (1,306), Mohon (1,240), and Salvador (1,224).

Meanwhile, Barangay Balud recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 262 persons which accounted 0.5 percent of the total population in Tanauan. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom ten (10) barangays in terms of population were Hilagpad (287), Catigbian (305), Cabonga-an (306), Pasil (340), Arado (360), Binolo (369), Ada (370), Cabarasan Guti (398), Baras (415).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Tanauan in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Pago (12.88 percent), Sacme (10.42 percent) and Tugop (5.07 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Limbuhan Guti, Pasil, Catigbian, Baras, Atipolo, Cahumayhumayan and San Miguel (Pob.) with PGRs ranging from 4.02 percent to 4.94 percent. Barangay Balud, Buntay (Pob.), Licod (Pob.), Bislig, Mohon, San Roque (Pob.), Calogcog and Santa Cruz recorded negative PGR at -0.07 percent, -0.15 percent, -0.17 percent, -0.33 percent, -0.73 percent, -0.74 percent, -0.87 percent and -1.14 percent, respectively. This means that their population declined in 2015.

 

Attachments: