Special Release - POPCEN - Tacloban City

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17R0837 - 12

Release Date: 

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE CITY OF TACLOBAN

 

Total population of Tacloban Cityas of 2015 is 242,089

The City of Tacloban, the only Highly Urbanized City in Eastern Visayas, has a total population of 241,089 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 20,915 persons as compared to 221,174 count in 2010 and higher by 63,450 persons from its total count of 178,639 in 2000.

Its population in 2015 comprised 5.5 percent of the total population of Region VIII. Though the population showed an increasing trend since 2000, the rate at which the population grow slowed down from 2.16 percent in 2000-2010 to 1.73 percent in 2010-2015. A Population Growth Rate (PGR) of 1.73 percent means that for every 100 persons, about two (2) persons are added on the average every year from 2010 to 2015. With this PGR, Tacloban City’s population is expected to double in 2055.

The household population of Tacloban City totaled to 240,513 personsin 2015, which is 9.7 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 219,314 persons. Majority or 99.3 percent of the total population in Tacloban Cityin 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.7 percent or 1,576 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 50,547, higher by 5,069 households from 45,478 in 2010. The average household size in Tacloban City in 2010 at 4.8 was was sustained in 2015.

Tacloban City’s estimated total land area was 201.72 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. With the said land area, the population density in 2015 posted at 1,200 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 886 and 1,096 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 138 barangays of Tacloban City, Barangay 91 (Abucay) registered the biggest population which totaled to9,361 persons in 2015 or 3.9 percent of the city’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Brgy. 74 (8,518), Brgy. 109-A (8,206), Brgy. 96 (Calanipawan) with 7,113, Brgy. 84 (San Jose) with 6,847, Brgy. 95 (Caibaan) with 6,623, Brgy. 88 (5,880), Brgy. 62-A (5,627), Brgy. 110 (Utap) with 5,554, Brgy. 109 (5,538).

Meanwhile, Barangay 90 (San Jose) recorded the smallest population in 2015 with61 persons which accounted minimal or 0.03 percent of Tacloban City’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Brgy. 13 (63), Brgy. 15 (81), Brgy. 22 (93), Brgy. 30 (124), Brgy. 17 (137), Brgy. 32 (137), Brgy. 29 (143), Brgy. 26 (144), Brgy. 8-A (150).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Tacloban City in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Brgy. 106 (Santo Niño) with PGR of 35.0 percent, Brgy. 101 (New Kawayan) with PGR of 24.49 percent and Brgy. 108 (Tagapuro) with PGR of 12.68 percent. The abrupt increase in the population of these barangays were due to new occupants in the permanent relocation houses built for Yolanda affected families residing in coastal areas of Tacloban City. The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Brgy. 105 (Suhi), Brgy. 21-A, Brgy. 95 (Caibaan), Brgy. 91 (Abucay), Brgy. 16, Brgy. 97 (Cabalawan), and Brgy. 102 (Old Kawayan) with PGRs ranging from 5.45 percent to 9.23 percent.

Attachments: