Special Release - POPCEN - Palompon

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 45

Release Date: 

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF PALOMPON

 

Total population of Palompon as of 2015 is 58,108

The municipality of Palompon has a total population of 58,108 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,945 persons as compared to 54,163 total count in 2010 and higher by 7,354 persons from its total count of 50,754 in 2000. It ranked 6th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.4 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.35 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.70 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.65 percent.

The household population of Palompon totaled to 58,036 persons in 2015, which is 7.4 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 54,043 persons. Majority or 99.9 percent of the total population of Palompon in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.1 percent or 72 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 14,514, higher by 1,696 households from 12,818 in 2010. The average household size of Palompon declined from 4.2 in 2010 to 4.0 in 2015. This municipality posted the 4th highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Palompon was 126.07 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 461 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 403 and 430 persons per square kilometer, respectively. Palompon is the 7th densely populated municipality in Leyte in 2015.

Of the 50 barangays of Palompon, Barangay Mazawalo Pob. (Lili-on) registered the biggest population with 4,480 persons in 2015 or 7.7 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were San Isidro (3,350), San Juan (2,958), San Miguel (2,522), Sabang (2,073), Bitaog Pob. (Ypil III) (1,847), Guiwan 1 (Pob.) (1,738), Tabunok (1,727), Pinagdait Pob. (Ypil I) (1,684) and Cantuhaon (1,592).

Meanwhile, Barangay San Pablo recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 179 persons which accounted 0.3 percent of the total population of Palompon. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Belen (296), San Roque (300), Catigahan (345), Masaba (431), Hinablayan Pob. (Central 3) (469), Hinagbuan (489), San Pedro (521), Plaridel (580) and Cangmuya (610).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Palompon in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Belen (6.46 percent), San Roque (6.26 percent) and San Juan (6.06 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Catigahan, Catandoy, San Joaquin, Himarco, Plaridel, Magsaysay, and Cangcosme with PGRs ranging from 3.35 percent to 4.12 percent.

Attachments: