Special Release - POPCEN - Palo

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 44

Release Date: 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF PALO

 

Total population of Palo as of 2015 is 70,052

The municipality of Palo has a total population of 70,052 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 7,325 persons as compared to 62,727 total count in 2010 and higher by 22,070 persons from its total count of 47,982 in 2000. It ranked third among the 42 cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 4.1 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 2.12 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is lower by 0.59 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 2.71 percent.

The household population of Palo totaled to 69,260 persons in 2015, which is 11.3 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 62,206 persons. Majority or 98.9 percent of the total population in Palo in 2015 are household population. The remaining 1.1 percent or 792 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 15,730, higher by 2,819 households from 12,911 in 2010. The average household size of Palo declined from 4.8 in 2010 to 4.4 in 2015. This municipality posted the 3rd highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Palo was 221.27 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 317 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 217 and 283 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 33 barangays of Palo, Barangay Guindapunan registered the biggest population with 6,302 persons in 2015 or 9.0 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Pawing (4,475), Baras (4,158), San Jose (4,152), Libertad (3,190), Cogon (Cogon San Joaquin) (3,030), Gacao (2,971), San Joaquin (2,729), Cavite East (Pob.) (2,634), and Campetik (2,614). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households in the municipality in 2015.

Meanwhile, Barangay Luntad (Pob.) recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 441 persons which accounted 0.6 percent of the total population of Palo. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Cabarasan Guti (461), San Agustin (589), Cabarasan Daku (800), San Antonio (1,022), Canhidoc (1,077), Anahaway (1,238), Cangumbang (1,245), Candahug (1,381), and Buri (Pob.) (1,418).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Palo in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were San Jose (10.54 percent), Campetik (8.61 percent) and Canhidoc (5.75 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Cabarasan Guti, Cangumbang, Castilla, Gacao, Teraza, San Antonio and Baras with PGRs ranging from 3.13 percent to 4.11 percent.

Attachments: