Special Release - POPCEN - Merida

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 60

Release Date: 

Monday, July 3, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF MERIDA

 

Total population of Merida as of 2015 is 29,863

The municipality of Merida has a total population of 29,863 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 2,639 persons as compared to 27,224 total count in 2010 and higher by 4,537 persons from its total count of 25,326 in 2000.

Its population in 2015 comprised 1.7 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.78 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.05 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.72 percent.

The household population of Merida totaled to 29,806 persons in 2015, which is 9.6 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 27,202 persons. Majority or 99.8 percent of the total population of Merida in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.2 percent or 57 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 7,923 higher by 1,208 households from 6,715 in 2010. The average household size of Merida declined from 4.1 in 2010 to 3.8 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Merida was 95.21 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 314 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 266 and 286 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 22 barangays of Merida, Barangay Puerto Bello registered the biggest population with 4,102 persons in 2015 or 13.7 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Poblacion (3,990), Lamanoc (2,285), Libas (2,204), Casilda (2,074), Libjo (1,483), Mahalit (1,310), Binabaye (1,253), Canbantug (1,149) and Can-unzo (1,096).

Meanwhile, Barangay Tubod recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 459 persons which accounted 1.5 percent of the total population of Merida. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were San Jose (493), Mat-e (555), Lundag (675), Mahayag (705), San Isidro (708), Masumbang (720), Calunasan (758), Cambalong (785) and Cabaliwan (912).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Merida in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Binabaye (7.91 percent), Puerto Bello (3.43 percent) and Lamanoc (3.26 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Can-unzo, Macario, Canbantug, Masumbang, Libjo, Casilda and Mahalit with PGRs ranging from 1.43 percent to 2.82 percent.

Attachments: