Special Release - POPCEN - Mayorga

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 42

Release Date: 

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF MAYORGA

 

Total population of Mayorga as of 2015 is 17,161

The municipality of Mayorga has a total population of 17,161 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 2,467 persons as compared to 14,694 total count in 2010 and higher by 4,511 persons from its total count of 12,650 in 2000. It is the 6th smallest municipality in Leyte in terms of population in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 1.0 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 3.00 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.49 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.51 percent. Among the 42 cities/municipalities of Leyte, Mayorga posted as the fifth fastest growing municipality in terms of population in 2015.

The household population of Mayorga totaled to 17,151 persons in 2015, which is 16.7 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 14,694 persons. Majority or 99.9 percent of the total population of Mayorga in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.1 percent or 10 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 4,236 higher by 1,039 households from 3,197 in 2010. The average household size in Mayorga declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.0 in 2015. This municipality posted as the fourth lowest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Mayorga was 42.17 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 407 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 300 and 348 persons per square kilometer, respectively. Mayorga is the fourth smallest municipality in Leyte in terms of land area and tenth densely populated municipality in 2015.

Of the 16 barangays of Mayorga, Barangay San Roque registered the biggest population with 2,192 persons in 2015 or 12.8 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top five (5) barangays in terms of population were Union (2,097), Poblacion Zone 2 (1,287), Poblacion Zone 1 (1,254) and Liberty (1,144). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households in the municipality in 2015.

Meanwhile, Barangay Camansi recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 520 persons which accounted 3.0 percent of the total population of Mayorga. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom five (5) barangays in terms of population were Santa Cruz (664), Burgos (665), Calipayan (696) and Wilson (703).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Mayorga in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Burgos (7.44 percent), Camansi (5.32 percent) and Gen. Antonio Luna (5.31 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Poblacion Zone 1, Wilson, Union, San Roque, Poblacion Zone 3, Poblacon Zone 2, and Talisay with PGRs ranging from 2.08 percent to 4.44 percent.

Attachments: