Special Release - POPCEN - MacArthur

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 38

Release Date: 

Monday, June 19, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF MACARTHUR

 

Total population of MacArthur as of 2015 is 21,211

The municipality of MacArthur has a total population of 21,211 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 2,487 persons as compared to 18,724 total count in 2010 and higher by 4,367 persons from its total count of 16,844 in 2000.

Its population in 2015 comprised 1.2 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 2.40 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.34 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.06 percent. Among the 42 cities/municipalities of Leyte, MacArthur posted as the 10th fastest growing municipality in terms of population in 2015.

The household population of MacArthur totaled to 21,206 persons in 2015, which is 13.3 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 18,714 persons. Majority or 99.98 percent of the total population of MacArthur in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.02 percent or 5 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 5,109, higher by 1,024 households from 4,085 in 2010. The average household size in MacArthur declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.2 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of MacArthur was 57.57 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 368 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 293 and 325 persons per square kilometer, respectively. MacArthur is the seventh smallest municipality in terms of land area.

Of the 31 barangays of MacArthur, Barangay Tuyo registered the biggest population with 1,445 persons in 2015 or 6.8 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Danao (1,286), Casuntingan (1,270), Liwayway (1,268), Poblacion District 2 (1,255), Palale 2 (1,054), Tinawan (934), San Isidro (848), Poblacion District 3 (847) and Poblacion District 1 (845). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households in the municipality in 2015.

Meanwhile, Barangay San Vicente recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 131 persons which accounted 0.6 percent of the total population of Macarthur. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Oguisan (156), Salvacion (194), Kiling (238), Doña Josefa (300), Lanawan (314), Quezon (326), Burabod (338), Villa Imelda (504) and Capudlosan (522).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of MacArthur in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Tuyo (7.01 percent), Burabod (6.23 percent) and Lanawan (5.08 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were San Pedro, Kiling, Pongon, Salvacion, Romualdez, San Isidro and Casuntingan with PGRs ranging from 3.50 percent to 4.81 percent. Four barangays recorded negative PGR which include Barangay Poblacion District 1 (-0.68 percent), Doña Josefa (-0.38 percent), Batug (-0.35 percent) and Capudlosan (-0.22 percent). This means that their population declined in 2015.

Attachments: