Special Release - POPCEN - Leyte

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 52

Release Date: 

Thursday, June 29, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF LEYTE

 

Total population of Leyte as of 2015 is 40,639

The municipality of Leyte has a total population of 40,639 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,134 persons as compared to 37,505 total count in 2010 and higher by 5,398 persons from its total count of 35,241 in 2000. It ranked 17th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 2.4 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.54 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.91 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.62 percent.

The household population of Leyte totaled to 40,603 persons in 2015, which is 8.3 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 37,495 persons. Majority or 99.9 percent of the total population of Leyte in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.1 percent or 36 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 9,101 higher by 1,476 households from 7,625 in 2010. The average household size in Leyte declined from 4.9 in 2010 to 4.5 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Leyte was 181.26 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 224 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 194 and 207 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 30 barangays of Leyte, Barangay Poblacion registered the biggest population with 5,446 persons in 2015 or 13.4 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Consuegra (3,331), Palarao (2,751), Macupa (2,483), Libas (2,150), Palid I (Ilawod) (1,831), Belen (1,818), Tigbawan (1,454), Bachao (1,377) and Wague (1,350).

Meanwhile, Barangay Basud recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 192 persons which accounted 0.5 percent of the total population of Leyte. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Tag-abaca (469), Mataloto (497), Parasan (503), Elizabeth (534), Tapol (574), Bagaba-o (574), Maanda (638), Burabod (777) and Palid II (Iraya) (792).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Leyte in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Baco (5.88 percent), Bagaba-o (5.51 percent) and Salog (4.44 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Maanda, Mataloto, Libas, Belen, Elizabeth, Palarao and Culasi with PGRs ranging from 2.47 percent to 4.04 percent. Seven baragngays recorded negative PGR which include Palid I (Ilawod) (-0.09 percent), Toctoc (-0.16 percent), Tigbawan (-0.72 percent), Palid II (Iraya) (-0.82 percent), Basud (-1.42 percent), Parasan (-2.19 percent) and Tinocdugan (-2.27 percent). This means that their respective population declined in 2015.

Attachments: