Special Release - POPCEN - Kananga

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 54

Release Date: 

Thursday, June 29, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF KANANGA

 

Total population of Kananga as of 2015 is 56,575

The municipality of Kananga has a total population of 56,575 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 8,548 persons as compared to 48,027 total counts in 2010 and higher by 13,709 persons from its total count of 42,866 in 2000. It ranked 7th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.3 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 3.17 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 2.02 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.14 percent. Among the 42 cities/municipalities of Leyte, Kananga posted as the second fastest growing municipality in terms of population in 2015.

The household population of Kananga totaled to 56,427 persons in 2015, which is 17.6 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 47,970 persons. Majority or 99.7 percent of the total population of Kananga in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.3 percent or 148 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 12,921 higher by 2,475 households from 10,446 in 2010. The average household size in Kananga declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.4 in 2015. This municipality ranked 8th with the highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Kananga was 144.20 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 392 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 297 and 333 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 23 barangays of Kananga, Barangay Poblacion registered the biggest population with 9,197 persons in 2015 or 16.3 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Rizal (4,379), Tugbong (3,354), Naghalin (3,182), Libongao (3,177), Masarayao (2,978), Lim-ao (2,953), Natubgan (2,833), Lonoy (2,744) and Monte Alegre (2,556). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households in the Municipality in 2015.

Meanwhile, Barangay San Ignacio recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 454 persons which accounted 0.8 percent of the total population of Kananga. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Santo Domingo (531), Mahawan (929), Kawayan (966), Cacao (1,129), San Isidro (1,266), Santo Niño (1,596), Tongonan (1,678), Libertad (1,776) and Hiluctogan (1,994).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Kananga in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Tongonan (9.06 percent), Libertad (7.49 percent) and Mahawan (7.13 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Hiluctogan, Monte Bello, Libongao, Tugbong, Poblacion, Masarayao and San Isidro with PGRs ranging from 2.98 percent to 5.58 percent.

Attachments: