Special Release - POPCEN - Jaro

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 57

Release Date: 

Monday, July 3, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF JARO

 

Total population of Jaro as of 2015 is 43,199

The municipality of Jaro has a total population of 43,199 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,622 persons as compared to 39,577 total count in 2010 and higher by 5,762 persons from its total count of 37,437 in 2000. It ranked 15th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count in 2015.

Its population in 2015 comprised 2.5 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.68 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.12 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.56 percent.

The household population of Jaro totaled to 43,189 persons in 2015, which is 9.2 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 39,546 persons. Majority or 99.98 percent of the total population of Jaro in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.02 percent or 10 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 9,747 higher by 1,223 households from 8,524 in 2010. The average household size in Jaro declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.4 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Jaro was 207.19 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 208 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 181 and 191 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 46 barangays of Jaro, Barangay District I (Pob.) registered the biggest population with 2,415 persons in 2015 or 5.6 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Canhandugan (2,320), District III (Pob.) (2,265), Hiagsam (1,841), Buenavista (1,801), Macanip (1,749), Santa Cruz (1,665), District II (Pob.) (1,530), Kaglawaan (1,441) and Olotan (1,419).

Meanwhile, Barangay Alahag recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 171 persons which accounted 0.4 percent of the total population of Jaro. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Villa Paz (225), Atipolo (261), Palanog (328), Sari-sari (336), La Paz (342), Villagonzoilo (Villa Consuelo) (360), Likod (395), Batug (405) and San Pedro (442).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Jaro in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Palanog (6.04 percent), Kaglawaan (5.57 percent) and Batug (5.35 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Kalinawan, Buenavista, Canapuan, Hibucawan, San Agustin, Macopa and Malobago with PGRs ranging from 3.56 percent to 4.40 percent.

Attachments: