Special Release - POPCEN - Hilongos

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 30

Release Date: 

Monday, May 22, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF HILONGOS

 

Total population of Hilongos as of 2015 is 63,431

The municipality of Hilongos has a total population of 63,431 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 6,628 persons as compared to 56,803 total count in 2010 and higher by 11,969 persons from its total count of 51,462 in 2000. It ranked fourth among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.7 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 2.12 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.13 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.99 percent.

The household population of Hilongos totaled to 63,330 persons in 2015, which is 11.7 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 56,674 persons. Majority or 99.8 percent of the total population of Hilongos in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.2 percent or 101 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 14,394 higher by 1,517 households from 12,877 in 2010. The average household size in Hilongos was 4.4 in the year 2015 and 2010. This municipality posted the 5th highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Hilongos was 192.92 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 329 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 267 and 294 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 51 barangays of Hilongos, Barangay Atabay registered the biggest population with 3,329 persons in 2015 or 5.2 percent of the Municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Lamak (3,058), West Barangay (Pob.) (3,001), Central Barangay (Pob.) (2,745), Matapay (2,696), Liberty (2,683), Eastern Barangay (Pob.) (2,630), Concepcion (2,324), Talisay (1,689), and Lunang (1,683).

Meanwhile, Barangay Bon-ot recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 181 persons which accounted 0.3 percent of the total population of Hilongos. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were San Agustin (307), Kanghaas (382), Santo Niño (385), Catandog 2 (386), San Antonio (485), Agutayan (557), Imelda Marcos (Pong-on) (580), Bagong Lipunan (608) and Manaul (646).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Hilongos in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Bantigue (9.06 percent), Manaul (6.85 percent) and Libertad (5.92 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Lamak, Cacao, Talisay, Magnangoy, San Juan, San Antonio and Santa Margarita with PGRs ranging from 3.64 percent to 5.63 percent.

Attachments: