Special Release - POPCEN - Carigara

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 26

Release Date: 

Monday, May 22, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF CARIGARA

 

Total population of Carigara as of 2015 is 51,345

The municipality of Carigara has a total population of 51,345 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,901 persons as compared to 47,444 total count in 2010 and higher by 7,890 persons from its total count of 43,455 in 2000. It ranked 11th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.0 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.52 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.63 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.88 percent.

The household population of Carigara totaled to 51,200 persons in 2015, which is 8.2 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 47,327 persons. Majority or 99.7 percent of the total population of Carigara in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.3 percent or 145 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 11,303, higher by 1,435 households from 9,868 in 2010. The average household size in Carigara declined from 4.8 in 2010 to 4.5 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Carigara was 117.86 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 436 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 369 and 403 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 49 barangays of Carigara, Barangay Sawang (Pob.) registered the biggest population with 2,858 persons in 2015 or 5.6 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Baybay (Pob.) (2,809), Ponong (Pob.) (2,770), Jugaban (Pob.) (2,432), Barugohay Norte (2,165), West Visoria (1,934), San Mateo (Pob.) (1,489), Caghalo (1,340), Parag-um (1,278), and Binibihan (1,265).

Meanwhile, Barangay Barayong recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 312 persons which accounted 0.6 percent of the total population of Carigara. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were San Isidro (320), San Juan (359), Santa Fe (433), Rizal (Tagak East) (438), Lower Hiraan (448), Canfabi (463), Paglaum (471), Bagong Lipunan (506), and Piloro (530).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Carigara in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were East Visoria (5.45 percent), San Juan (4.70 percent) and Upper Hiraan (3.89 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Parina, Canlampay, Sagkahan, Upper Sogod, Candigahub, West Visoria and Baybay (Pob.) with PGRs ranging from 2.36 percent to 3.88 percent.

Attachments: