Special Release - POPCEN - Burauen

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 22

Release Date: 

Friday, May 5, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF BURAUEN

 

Total population of Burauen as of 2015 is 52,732

The municipality of Burauen has a total population of 52,732 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 3,879 persons as compared to 48,853 total count in 2010 and higher by 5,552 persons from its total count of 47,180 in 2000. It ranked tenth among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.1 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.46 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 1.12 percentage points from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.35 percent.

The household population of Burauen totaled to 52,548 persons in 2015, which is 7.9 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 48,711 persons. Majority or 99.7 percent of the total population of Burauen in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.3 percent or 184 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 12,577, higher by 1,983 households from 10,594 in 2010. The average household size in Burauen declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.2 in 2015. This municipality posted the 10th highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Burauen was 265.33 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 199 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 178 and 184 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 77 barangays of Burauen, Barangay Poblacion District III registered the biggest population with 2,565 persons in 2015 or 4.9 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Poblacion District IX (2,530), Poblacion District VI (2,162), Poblacion District IV (2,099), Poblacion District II (1,671), Poblacion District I (1,614), Arado (1,369), Libas (1,357), Maghubas (1,189), and Malabca (1,111). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households.

Meanwhile, Barangay Gitablan recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 139 persons which accounted 0.3 percent of the total population of Burauen. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Balatson (181), Kaparasanan (211), Laguiwan (230), San Fernando (236), Damulo-an (242), Buenavista (245), Hugpa East (253), Cali (269), and Kagbana (282).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Burauen in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Hibonawan (10.69 percent), Ilihan (9.38 percent) and Maghubas (7.83 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Balorinay, Cagangon, Taghuyan, Caanislagan, Cadahunan, San Esteban and Esperanza with PGRs ranging from 4.96 percent to 6.45 percent.

Attachments: