Special Release - POPCEN - Baybay City

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17R0837 – 21

Release Date: 

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE CITY OF BAYBAY

 

Total population of Baybay City as of 2015 is 109,432

The municipality of Baybay City has a total population of 109,432 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 6,591 persons as compared to 102,841 total count in 2010 and higher by 13,802 persons from its total count of 95,630 in 2000. It ranked second among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 6.3 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.19 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.46 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 0.73 percent. Among the 42 cities/municipalities of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City), Baybay City posted as the eighth slowest growing City in terms of population in 2015.

The household population of Baybay City totaled to 108,217 persons in 2015, which is 5.6 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 102,435 persons. Majority or 98.9 percent of the total population of Baybay City in 2015 are household population. The remaining 1.1 percent or 1,215 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 26,180, higher by 2,705 households from 23,475 in 2010. It posted the 2nd highest number of households in Leyte in 2015. The average household size in Baybay City slightly declined from 4.4 in 2010 to 4.1 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Baybay City was 459.34 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 238 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 208 and 224 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 92 barangays of Baybay City, Barangay Caridad registered the biggest population with 4,139 persons in 2015 or 3.8 percent of the city’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Plaridel (3,813), Kilim (3,318), Pomponan (3,156), Pangasungan (3,147), Poblacion Zone 1 (2,896), Hipusngo (2,891), Bitanhuan (2,696), Gabas (2,648), and Guadalupe (Utod) (2,646).

Meanwhile, Barangay Lintaon recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 186 persons which accounted 0.2 percent of the total population of Baybay City. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Poblacion Zone 10 (201), Poblacion Zone 13 (227), Poblacion Zone 19 (235), Poblacion Zone 14 (236), Monte Verde (265), Poblacion Zone 7 (288), Matam-is (322), Kabatuan (327), and Poblacion Zone 3 (374).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Baybay City in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Pangasungan (8.72 percent) Poblacion Zone 21 (4.16 percent) and Balao (3.83 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Poblacion Zone 4, Poblacion Zone 11, Kasungka, Bidlinan, Poblacion Zone 5, Imelda and Poblacion Zone 8 with PGRs ranging from 2.82 percent to 3.59 percent.

Attachments: