Special Release - POPCEN - Barugo

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17SR0837 - 19

Release Date: 

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF BARUGO

 

Total population of Barugo as of 2015 is 32,745

The municipality of Barugo has a total population of 32,745 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 2,653 persons as compared to 30,092 total count in 2010 and higher by 5,826 persons from its total count of 26,919 in 2000.

Its population in 2015 comprised 1.9 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 1.62 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 0.50 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.12 percent.

The household population of Barugo totaled to 32,733 persons in 2015, which is 8.8 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 30,092 persons. Majority or 99.96 percent of the total population of Barugo in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.04 percent or 12 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 6,919 higher by 771 households from 6,148 in 2010. The average household size in Barugo slightly declined from 4.9 in 2010 to 4.7 in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Barugo was 84.62 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 387 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 318 and 356 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 37 barangays of Barugo, Barangay Minuhang registered the biggest population with 1,921 persons in 2015 or 5.9 percent of the municipality’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Santa Rosa (1,688), Amahit (1,643), Poblacion District I (1,407), Bukid (1,339), Calingcaguing (1,296), Abango (1,250), Pikas (1,236), Santarin (1,208) and Poblacion District V (1,176).

Meanwhile, Barangay Hiagsam recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 219 persons which accounted 0.7 percent of the total population of Barugo. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Pongso (281), Cabolo-an (350), Ibag (433), Pitogo (440), Duka (452), San Roque (488), Domogdog (513), Balire (549) and Tutug-an (568).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Barugo in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Balud (5.02 percent), Busay (4.19 percent) and Guindaohan (4.12 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Bukid, Cuta, Canomantag, Pongso, Poblacion District VI (New Road), Balire and Santarin with PGRs ranging from 2.89 percent to 3.63 percent.

Attachments: