Special Release - POPCEN - Alang-Alang

Reference Number: 

ISSN 17R0837 - 15

Release Date: 

Monday, April 24, 2017

 

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2015 CENSUS RESULTS FOR THE MUNICIPALITY OF ALANG-ALANG

 

Total population of Alang-Alang as of 2015 is 55,235

The municipality of Alang-Alang has a total population of 55,235 as of August 1, 2015 based from the results of the 2015 Census of Population. It was higher by 8,824 persons as compared to 46,411 counts in 2010 and higher by 13,990 persons from its total count of 41,245 in 2000. It ranked 8th among the cities/municipalities in Leyte with high population count.

Its population in 2015 comprised 3.2 percent of the total population of Leyte (excluding Tacloban City). It grew at the rate of 3.37 percent annually from 2010 to 2015, which is higher by 2.18 percentage point from its population growth rate in 2000 to 2010 of 1.19 percent. Among the 42 cities/municipalities of Leyte, AlangAlang posted as the fastest growing municipality in terms of population in 2015.

The household population of Alang-Alang totaled to 55,219 persons in 2015, which is 19.01 percent higher than its count in 2010 at 46,397 persons. Majority or 99.97 percent of the total population in Alang-Alang in 2015 are household population. The remaining 0.03 percent or 16 persons comprised institutional population or those residing in collective or institutional living quarters such as hospitals, rehabilitation centers, orphanages, hotels, motels, inns, lodging houses, dormitories, military camps, corrective and penal institutions, logging, mining, construction/public work camps, and other institutional living quarters.

The number of households in 2015 reached 12,768, higher by 2,764 households from 10,004 in 2010. The average household size in Alang-Alang slightly declined from 4.6 in 2010 to 4.3 in 2015. This municipality posted the 9th highest number of households in Leyte in 2015.

The estimated total land area of Alang-Alang was 150.54 square kilometers as per data from the Land Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The resulting population density in 2015 posted at 367 persons per square kilometer, higher than in 2000 and 2010 at 274 and 308 persons per square kilometer, respectively.

Of the 54 barangays of Alang-Alang, Barangay Mudboron registered the biggest population with 2,313 persons in 2015 or 4.2 percent of the municipality total population. The remaining barangays which completed the top 10 barangays in terms of population were Binongto-an (2,277), San Vicente (2,237), Lingayon (1,794), Dapdap (1,721), Salvacion (1,692), Cabadsan (1,686), Hubang (1,613), Borseth (1,600) and San Antonio Pob. (Patong Norte) (1,581). These barangays also recorded with the highest number of households and average household size in the province in 2015.

Meanwhile, Barangay Bato recorded the smallest population in 2015 with 285 persons which accounted 0.5 percent of Leyte’s total population. The remaining barangays which completed the bottom 10 barangays in terms of population were Pepita (290), Santiago (319), Buri (326), Divisoria (455), Santo Niño (Pob.) (462), Hinapolan (468), San Francisco West (492), Buenavista (546), San Francisco East (585).

The top three (3) fastest growing barangays of Alang-Alang in terms of population growth rate from 2010 to 2015 were Langit (16.00 percent) Tabangohay (8.01 percent) and Calaasan (7.68 percent). The rest of the barangays which completed the top 10 fastest growing barangays were Hinapolan, San Diego, Veteranos, Salvacion, Hupit, Tombo and Ekiran with PGRs ranging from 5.37 percent to 7.63 percent.

Attachments: