Four out of Ten Employed Persons in Eastern Visayas are Women

Reference Number: 

SN-SR-201704-07

Release Date: 

Friday, April 7, 2017

 

FOUR in every ten employed persons in Eastern Visayas are women, comprising around 34.8 percent of the 1.8 million total employed persons in the region in April 2016. Men population still dominated with 65.2 percent, higher by 30 percent. The region’s overall employment rate of 94.1 was, however, ranked ninth highest among the regions (Table 2).

The gender disparity in the employment rate is shown at an even wider degree in the Labor Force Participation Rate (LFPR) where women registered an LFPR of only 45.7 percent compared to 80.5 percent of men. This means that fewer women aged 15-years-old-and-over are engaged in active work during the period. The region registered an LFPR of 63.5 percent or around 1.9 million persons out of the 3 million total population 15 years old and over       (Figure 1).

MOST OF THE EMPLOYED WOMEN ARE IN THE SERVICES SECTOR

WORKERS in the Services Sector comprised the largest proportion (45.1%) of the employed persons in the region. The women accounted for the majority or around 69.1 percent of the total employed persons in the said sector (Figure 2).

Workers in the Agriculture Sector registered the second largest group with 40.1 percent share of the total employed persons. The Industry Sector made up the smallest group accounting for 14.8 percent of the total employed persons.  

Among the subsectors, workers in Agriculture, hunting and forestry comprised the largest percentage (33.4%). Those engaged in Wholesale and Retail Trade or in Repair of Motor Vehicles and Motorcycles constituted the second largest group, making up 18.3 percent of the total employed (Table 2).

FOUR IN EVERY 10 EMPLOYED PERSONS ARE ENGAGED IN ELEMENTARY OCCUPATIONS

ALMOST 4 in every 10 employed persons (35.2%) were engaged in elementary occupations. It comprised the largest proportion among the major occupation groups. Skilled agriculture, forestry, and fishery workers were the second largest group (21.0 percent). Managers comprised the third largest group accounting for 14.2 percent of the total employed (Figure 3).

The employed women in the region were mostly in elementary occupations, service and sales workers, managers, professionals, clerical support workers, and technicians and associate professionals. Most of the employed men were under elementary and armed forces occupations, plant and machine operators and assemblers, craft and related trades workers, and skilled agriculture, forestry and fishery workers (Table 3).

MORE THAN HALF OF THE EMPLOYED PERSONS ARE WAGE AND SALARY WORKERS

MORE than half (51.7 percent) of the 1.8 million employed persons in the region  were wage and salary workers. These were the persons who work for private households, private establishments, government or government-controlled corporations, and those who work with pay in own family-operated farm or business. The largest proportion of them (37.5 percent of the total employed) worked for private establishments. Those who worked for the government or government-controlled corporations accounted for 9.1 percent, while those who worked for private households comprised             5.1 percent (Table 4).

About 36.0 percent were self-employed without any paid employee. Those who worked without pay in own family-operated farm or business made up 11.6 percent, while employers in own family-operated farm or business accounted for 0.7 percent.

ALMOST ONE-THIRD OF THE EMPLOYED PERSONS DESIRE MORE HOURS OF WORK

ABOUT 532 thousand, or 29.7 percent of the total employed persons, expressed the desire to have additional hours of work in their present job, or to have a new job with longer working hours. These are the employed persons who are considered under-employed. Among the underemployed persons,  19.5 percent were reported as visibly underemployed or those who worked less than 40 hours during the reference week. More men were visibly underemployed than women. The remaining 10.1 percent were  those underemployed (invisibly) working full time  (worked 40 hours or more) (Figure 5).

MEN COMPRISE MORE THAN HALF OF THE UNEMPLOYED PERSONS

The region’s unemployment rate was registered at 5.9 percent. This is the proportion of unemployed persons in the labor force (Table 1). More than half or 58.4 percent of the unemployed persons in the region were men. Women accounted for the remaining 41.6 percent.

The region ranked seventh with low unemployment rates in the country (5.9%).  Ilocos Region and CALABARZON posted the highest unemployment rate at 7.5%, followed by NCR with 7.3 percent.

 

Tags: 

Attachments: